Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jog at the ball park

Sometimes we have to take advantage of the time we have to exercise. I am speaking mostly to women who have school age children who are busy with various activities, like playing ball at different ball parks or practicing dance and piano on a regular basis.

 

Four years ago, when I became committed to losing weight and getting in better shape, I would walk around the ball field during warm-ups, rather than setting camp in my folding chair. I also decided to stand during the games. Standing is helpful because it uses more calories than sitting. Also, it becomes a stress-relieving activity. I get nervous when my kids pitch or bat or swim races. I want them to:

  • play or swim or bowl well.
  • play the game as it was meant to be played. 
  • swim her race or bowl his game.
  • use the skills that they learned.

 

The more important the game or meet, the more nervous I get for them. I guess because using their skills become even more important during the games where something is at a stake--whether it is pride or a championship.

 

Anyway, I use the ball park as a great place to expend calories.

 

Today, when we first arrived in Millbrook for a tournament, I took a 50 minute jog. I know I can take time to walk or jog during the 1 hour before the game because my girl is busy warming up, she has the essentials, and she is being taken care of because my husband is the coach.

 

This morning I jogged down a street that turned into a county road. It made for an interesting jog. As I jogged "out" of town a bit, the shoulder at times had grass taller than me and patches of briars. Oncoming traffic required me to jump to the shoulder and sometimes straddle the briars.

 

It is always interesting to jog a new route, particular in a town I am unfamiliar. When I do this I learn something about the area. I also find myself not concerned with my speed or the distance, I just jog.

 

The most interesting part of this jog was in the outskirts of town, I found the smell of the country to bring back memories of the smells at home near the creek. Hot, humid , but fresh. It is hard to describe. I am not sure what is blooming that has a fresh and sweet smell that is not overbearing. The moisture in the air near the creek and today in Millbrook because the Alabama River is nearby has feel about that is beyond humid, but an almost refreshing feel.

This morning workout included: 

  • I stretched my legs a little.
  • I jogged variable speed for 50 minutes.
  • I walked about .1 mile.
  • I stretched 20 seconds toe-touch hold with feet together.
  • I stretched 20 seconds each with one leg crossed over.
  • I stretched 20 seconds each for a hamstring stretch.
  • I stretched 20 seconds for calf stretch.
  • I stood or walked for most of the game.

 

The advantages of this kind of activity during warm-ups are:

  • expending calories
  • using muscles
  • getting a cardio workout
  • not using my time with the kids to get my exercise done.

 

The disadvantages are:

  • I not available is something were to happen (like my ballplayer getting hurt) which is one reason I take my phone with me.
  • Even though I bring an extra set of clothes, I look bad for the rest of the tournament.
  • I smell bad for the rest of the tournament.
  • I have to drink more water than normal.
  • I am usually a little tired (but isn't everybody at an all day tournament?)

No comments: