Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jogging strategy

I often joke at how slow I am at jogging, well,  because I am slow. I also enjoy longer jogs over shorter runs. During some of my slowest jogs I begin to think about the happenings in my home and work life and begin to think about alternative solutions to whatever has my attention.

 

Though I have begun to jog at times longer than 3 miles, I want to jog faster and longer because 1) I need to expend more calories, 2) I feel like the faster pace will help work my legs better, 3) the longer length will give me time to think, 4) I want to prove to myself I can improve, 5) I want to become even more fit (the older I get the more this seems important).

 

A few weeks ago on a Saturday, I jogged a new route. I had no idea how long or how much time I took--I was just jogging. I later learned I jogged between 5.2 and 5.4 miles.

 

Also, I have noticed some differences in how much I jog and I have fast.  Some of things I am beginning to realize. I have a lot of trouble jogging fast early at in the morning (5 AM). I also have trouble jogging past the 4 mile marker, though at times I jog longer.

 

While on a jog at North Carolina William B. Umstead State Park  during the NETC08 Conference, Ray Kimsey told me that if I jog past the 5 and 6 mile marker, then the jog becomes easier--routine like. Floyd Davenport agreed.

 

On two different occasions, I tried Ray's suggestion. It seems at the 4.5 mile point, I want to stop, so instead I forced myself to jog through the mile marker and kept jogging--regardless that it was slow.

 

This worked. By the time I got to the 5 mile marker, I knew I could make it all the home--6 miles. Wow. Did I feel like I accomplished something!

 

On my third attempt, I did not make it to the 4 mile marker. I am not trying to make excuses, but I want to understand the differences when I can stretch myself and when I cant' seem to do it. This time, I seemed to be just tired.

 

This past, Sunday, I jogged 5.8 miles. I was surprised, based on my attempt a few days earlier when I did not make 4 miles. Through observing my abilities and how far I can take my efforts, I have learned that I can break through that tough bump. I will try more often to jog at least 6 miles. Rather than 6 miles being the exception, I want it to be normal cardio workout. I also learned that rest is important.

No comments: