Sunday, August 18, 2013

Apple Pecan Crisp

We have some tart apples from the farm. My oldest made her signature apple pie with a homemade crust last week. I searched for an apple dessert with no flour. Other than cooked apples often served as a side dish, I could not find a recipe I thought I would like.

I developed this recipe based on a few others and one recipe I used in the past. The key difference is this recipe is that I used finely crushed pecans in place of flour, creating a gluten free dessert.

I have cooked apple crisps before but this one is by far the best one I have ever made.

Enjoy.

Apple Pecan Crisp 

5 large tart apples, peeled, chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup pecans broken into pieces
3 tablespoons crushed pecans, crushed in a food processor
2/3 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons of butter

Topping:
3/4 cup crushed pecans, crushed in a food processor
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup or stick of softened butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup pecans broken into pieces

Vanilla ice cream (optional)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For the Filling:
Sprinkle lemon juice over the apples. Add the next 5 items into a large bowl. Stir with a large spoon

Spray a 9 inch X 9 inch baking dish with butter spray. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish.

For topping:

Mix the crushed pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in large bowl. Sprinkle the butter over the mixture. Stir with a spoon or fork until mixture forms small lumps. Crumble over filling.

Bake for 35 40 minutes. Cool a few minutes before serving.

To serve spoon in a bowl and top with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: