Saturday, February 2, 2008

Second day after surgery


goggledshields
Originally uploaded by aafromaa

This morning I woke up to dry eyes and my eyesight was not as good as it was yesterday. I started the morning with the regiment of eye drops. I am down to 3 different types of drops--antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and lubricant.

A few minutes later, I felt much better. And, I could see much better. According to the information sheet from the doctor, vision fluctuation is normal.

The sun is brighter today so I really need sunglasses. I am still using the cheap plastic pair the doctor provided. They are not very stylish, but they cover even the corner of my eyes. It is beginning to sink in that I am not ever going to have poor eye sight again. I have been wearing glasses or corrective lens for 36 years. It's just taking me time to get used to the fact that these are my eyes and not something foreign in them.

Late yesterday, I looked over the sheet of instructions again and I thought I would share those:

  • Securely tape shields over eyes before going to bed.
  • Wear the protective shields at night for the 1st week.
  • Do not rub your eyes for the 1st month.
  • Do not wear eye makeup for at least 1 week.
  • Avoid gardening or any outdoor activity that could introduce dirt or pollen particles into the eyes for 1 week. (I guess I cannot help clean up the broken tree limbs.)
  • Avoid swimming, hot tubs, saunas or any other contact with possibly contaminated water for 2 weeks. (That's not a problem for me.)
  • Avoid contact or racquet sports for 2 weeks. After this time, it is strongly suggested that you wear protective eyewear while playing contact sports. (This is not a problem, although I would like to learn to play racquetball and tennis.)
  • You may resume jogging, weightlifting and aerobics 1 week following surgery. Again, wear protective eyeglasses when necessary.

I can use lubricant eye drops as often as I need. I think I will try using them more today and hopefully reduce dry eye feelings in the morning.

The warning at the bottom of the information sheet said ."..if you experience progressive increase in redness, a decrease in vision or increase in pain, call the eye corneal surgeon..."

Thankfully, that is not a problem for me.

No comments: