Thursday, February 28, 2008

Trying to get back into exercising

Since Thanksgiving, my exercise regiment has slowed down. I have been very unmotivated to wake up in the mornings to jog and since being sick and having knee problems and eye surgery, I have not had much desired to go back to the regiment I was exercising in the early fall.

This week I have done better, not perfect but better.

My exercise this week:

  • Monday morning: benchpress, tricep kickbacks, military press. I lifted heavy Monday---the most I have in a very long time.
  • Tuesday morning: I slept in
  • Wednesday morning: leg (fairly heavy leg lifts and squat machines) and ab workout. After getting the kids ready for school, and I jogged 2.5 miles at a moderate pace (for me). The temperature was below 32 degrees and the wind was brutal. Maybe that was the reason the pace was decent. Then, I traveled out of town for a meeting.
  • Thursday morning (while out of town): I slept in. My apologies to a friend who worked out and I just did not want to get out in the cold weather (I am such a wimp).
  • Thursday night (back home): I jogged 2.5 miles at a moderate pace (for me) in 52 degree weather. It was very nice jog.
  • Friday (we'll see)
  • Saturday morning: I hope to jog
  • Sunday morning: I hope to jog

If I jog on Saturday and Sunday, I will have exercised a consistent amount this week. Consistency is key for me. Although I am not suffering in a major way from cutting back on my exercise, I can tell a difference.

I also feel a difference in how my body feels and what I want to eat. It seems that when I exercise consistently and I push myself to lift heavier or go faster or longer when jogging, I eat better.

The weights give my body a tight feeling, while the cardio makes me feel good. Maybe those physical changes and feelings are what I need to remember when I start to lose motivation.

No comments: