Sunday, January 27, 2008

Exercising after being sick

My last month of exercising has been:
December 22 through Dec 28, I jogged almost every day 3 to 6 miles each day. I did not lift any weights during this time.

December 29 I stopped jogging because the pain in my left leg above my ankle began to ache during my jogging and afterwards. The pain was much like the pain in my right ankle 3 years ago when I developed a stress fracture. I thought it was best to stop jogging for awhile.

January 7, I started back lifting weights and jogging, but I missed a few days for a couple weeks.

January 14, I got sick (stomach kind of thing) that wiped my out. I bench pressed once that week and tried to jog only once. It was slow.

January 20, I felt a little better so I jogged only 2 miles and it was very slow.

January 21, I managed to go to gym and did a variety of weights. During the week, I was so tired, I did not go to the gym, I just did not have the energy to get up early.

January 25, I jogged 2.5 miles at a decent (not great) time.

January 27, I jogged a very slow 3 miles. That is today. I have felt very tired every since.
This morning before getting started, I really did not want to go. I forced myself to get out of the house. It was colder than it looked. The sky was a clear blue and there was no wind. The air was crisp.

I walked for .3 miles and was not sure I had the energy to jog. When I first started jogging, I was in slow motion. My feet felt heavy.

I jogged for more than .5 miles before the stride felt easy. The jogging was similar to when I first starting jogging. Each step seem to be a struggle. I had to talk myself into continuing. I did not think I could even finish the 1st mile. But, I kept my slow pace and set up mini-goals. I kept telling myself, just make it to the 1 mile marker, then make it to the 1.5 mile marker. In my early days of jogging, I would tell myself that the .5 mile in the hardest. the next .5 miles is next to the hardest, and the next 1 mile in the third hardest. I would tell myself, "Go to the next marker, get to it before you stop".

Even at the 2 mile marker, I was not sure I could finish 3 miles. If I could get into a rhythm I could finish. My body was so tired, I just could not keep going.

One marker passed led to the next marker. I finished the jog with 3.1 miles and walked a total 1.2 miles.

I am still tired, but I think I am tired because of lacking of eating. I have lost 4 pounds in the last weeks and I am determined to keep it off so I have reduced the number of calories. What I need to do is to even my eating out throughout the day. I am eating too little before lunch and too much after lunch.

Hopefully, I can get back into the groove and even out my eating habits and get back into lifting weights and jogging.

I want to keep the weight off, but I also want to keep muscle. I have to keep working at it.

No comments: