Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Storm damage


DSCI0016
Originally uploaded by aafromaa

This morning, I awoke to the phone ringing. The power company's automated service told me that the power has been restored. Slowly waking up, I thought "I did not know we were without power."

In the dark across the room, I could barely make out the blurry red flashing lights on the alarm clock. My next thought was "Uh, oh, I guess I missed my workout."

It was 6 o'clock, normally I get up around 4:45, sometimes a little earlier.

Then, I was thankful that Alabama Power repaired our lines (even if I did not know that they were not working). I am also thankfull that they called me. They were definitely my alarm this morning.

Often, I wake up before the alarm. But, it was not surprising I slept through my normal wake up time. My husband woke me up when his body shook with the chills last night. He caught the same nasty bug that everyone else has had. Between going to bed later than normal and his waking me up, I was zonked. The storm obviously had not awaken me.

I took my shower and started breakfast. Walking through the house I glanced out back and saw the tangled mess of the batting cage.

The top of a tree broke. The limbs shattered into pieces after hitting the metal of the batting cage. I am not sure what we will do about fixing the mess.

The youngest was concerned about the cost and how we would fix the cage. Every summer we have enjoyed hosting batting practice for ball teams, particularly the Dixie Youth teams.

Since my husband is sick, we have not talked about what we will do. Watching my youngest face this morning, I am convinced we should repair the damage. She does not want to lose the opportunities and the fun we have enjoyed. And, neither do I.

No comments: