Sunday, July 15, 2007

Change in Sunday Morning's Jog

This morning, I jogged the first two miles of my long Sunday morning jog at a faster pace than normal. If felt really good! The last of the little bit of the last two miles were tough. I managed to get that far and when I got to the two mile mark, I managed to slow my pace and continue on.


The problem was soon after the two mile marker was that I had to climb the hardest hill in my route. About the 2.4 marker, I was barely going. but I felt that if I must get to the 3 mile marker which is my regular regiment.


After talking myself into the idea that I could reach at least 3 mile marker, my slow pace became regular and comfortable. Walking home from the 3 mile marker would take forever, so I continued the jog.


My body adjusted and when going downhill around the 3. 5 mile marker, I felt pretty well--like I would last awhile longer. My body gave out at the 4 mile point. From there I walked home.


My jog was like this:

walked casually .2 mile

walked fast for .1 mile

jogged at a reasonable fast pace for 2 miles

jogged slowly for 2 miles

walked casually 1.7 miles


I am pleased that I could keep the pace up for 2 miles, but it made me very tired. The good news is that the 6 mile route uses approximately the same number of calories, regardless of whether I run, jog, or walk.



This particular method was good because I think the faster pace is really good for the ab muscles and toning the legs, and of course, the faster pace really works the heart and lungs.

No comments: