Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lifting Weights

Monday is bench press day--it's my workout partner ritual. Monday is bench press day. No other workout can be done on Monday. That is just the way it is with him. Monday is bench press day.

Though I did not blog yesterday, the bench press workout was very good. A couple of years ago, Jeff taught me how to bench press and I have pressed very heavy (for a woman). My problem has been that I do not bring the bar all the way to my chest, fearing that I might injury my shoulders or elbows.

In an effort to bring the bar further down, I have lighten the weights and increased the repetitions. The change in training is working. I can now perform 10 repetitions with 65 lbs bringing the bar all the way to the chest. I did not quite bring the bar down all the way for the 8 repetitions at 95 lbs, but I was close.

I went up to 115 lbs (4 reps) and then 135 lbs (4 reps, twice), bringing the bar little more than half way.

I tried another 95 lbs, almost touching the chest, then finished with 95 lbs, with legs up and stretching them out with each repetition. This particular exercise works my abs, much like extended leg crunches.

I performed more bench press repetitions than normal. I finished the workout with a few crunches, flat dumb bell presses, and incline presses. I felt great all day. I am not sure what it is about lifting heavy, but I tend to have a good bit of energy after heavy bench press and leg workouts.

Today, was leg workout, specifically squats. My knees hurt during the warm ups and wrapping them did not seem to help. Although I did a few crunches yesterday, we did about 20 minutes of ab workout to finish this morning. Today was not bad, but not great either.

I was frustrated because I did only a few reps at 95 lbs. I am now wondering how my jog will go tomorrow.

No comments: